Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Political Choice

I have stayed away from anything political on my blog because I want the focus to be on Christ. Since I run this blog though, I’m giving myself one exception. The reason for the exception is that I want to give real reasons for my vote. I have a lot of Christian friends who disagree with me politically, so I wanted to put down specific reasons for my choice. That being said, if you do not like politics, feel free to skip this post and I promise to post something “normal” again soon!

This is an important election. As Americans we have the choice between the most liberal Senator in the United States or a moderate Republican Senator for the Presidency. In a country of people who love to speak about bi-partisanship I do not see much evidence of it. If Obama is elected and the House and Senate remain under Democratic control, conservatives will not have much of a voice in Washington. There is not much evidence from his record that he will work closely with the remaining Republicans. In the above scenario, bi-partisanship is over. We will be left with liberalism being the pervasive ideology in our nation’s Capitol. The McCain Palin ticket brings balance to the White House. He has a proven track record of working with Democrats and Independents throughout his long history.

For those of us who are truly conservative Republicans it is somewhat difficult to vote for John McCain because he does not completely stand with us. However there are several reasons why we should vote for him.

Palin

Even though McCain is a moderate Republican, he chose a conservative Republican for the Vice Presidency. This was a smart move on his part. If he had not chosen someone truly conservative he would left the base of his party out entirely. My conservative values are better represented by Sarah Palin.

War

McCain understands war, the military, and how it works together. Not only did he grow up around it, but he enlisted and fought for our country himself. Twenty years is a significant amount of military experience. I want our men and women who are serving our country to have a leader who understands their needs. Whether you agree with the war or not, we are still in the middle of one. That is a fact that does not change. Obama does not have any experience in this area.

Terrorism

McCain is willing to identify evil in our world. One’s definition of evil is important. This issue came up at Saddleback Church when both Obama and McCain had their interview with Rick Warren. Obama claimed that while evil exists he qualified his answer with the following statement “Now, the -- the one thing that I think is very important is for us to have some humility in how we approach the issue of confronting evil, because, uh, you know, a lot of evil has been perpetrated, uhhh, based on the claim that we were trying to confront evil.” Contrast that with John McCain’s answer “Defeat it…Of course evil must be defeated. My friends, we are facing a transient challenge of the twenty-first century: radical Islamic extremism.” The tone is different and their beliefs are different. We need a Commander-in-Chief who can clearly point out the evil and rally our nation to fight against it.

Human Rights

McCain is pro-life. This is an issue that still matters to me. I have been told by many supposed conservatives who are voting for Obama that this issue is just the Republican Party’s way of keeping conservatives in their camp. That is true, do you know why? Because this issue matters, it is important. The truth about abortion is that its practice takes the lives of a staggering 1.37 million babies per year. Think about that number. It is astounding. Of the 1.37 million, ninety-three percent are based solely on social reasons, meaning that only 7% are because of the health of the mother or abuse. McCain will work to protect the lives of these innocent children. It is not “above his pay grade” to know when life begins. Civil Rights is a very important issue and abortion is a clear violation of the civil rights of the unborn children.

Fiscal Responsibility

McCain will cut spending in Washington. He has never once asked for pork to be added to a bill for his constituents. Obama has asked for 320 million in earmarks, or pork, in his 3 ½ years in the Senate. While both candidates say they will cut spending. Obama has yet to tell us what he will cut, and his record shows that he likes to spend money. McCain on the other hand has a long history of not spending. McCain practices what he preaches.

So in these uncertain times of war, a potential recession, and terrorism, I choose the candidate with experience. I choose the candidate who will stand with me on issues about which I care deeply. I choose someone with the character necessary to be Commander-in-Chief. I choose the candidate who will help to preserve some of my voice.

I choose John McCain.


9 comments:

Ben and April said...

Thanks for your perspective, Keri! I am voting for McCain too, but I have struggled w/ the fact that he may be the lesser of two evils. I agree w/ all your points, especially on abortion! Another thing I am thankful for is that McCain is a patriot and does love his country and that means so much considering the alternative.

Keri said...

I understand the struggle with voting for McCain. Thrid party options are not viable, and we are at a point where I feel we must make our vote count.

I am hopeful that during the next election, conservatives will rally together and get a good candidate to run.

sdgdh1 said...

I love the post. I still can't vote for McCain. I can't let the fact that millions of other people make poor choices force me to vote for someone who not only implements similar policies as Obama, but also destroys my party. I'm writing in Palin. Then I'm going to get a t-shirt that says, "Don't blame me. I voted for Palin."

Keep up the great writing.

Paul & Amy said...

Right on, Keri! I know a few who are voting Obama, as well. One is a 'pastor' of some kind of denomination - I highly doubt he's even saved after having an extensive conversation with him - anyhow, there are a lot of people that are just blinded by the rhetoric and don't see the damage Obama will add to this country. It's a shame that a lot of folks don't think for themselves and really put some research into their vote. Great post!

Tabitha said...

Thanks for sharing your heart and thoughts. You are a gifted writer, Keri! I’m curious what it might to like to offer some of my perspectives as an Obama supporter and not-so-conservative woman. To be honest, this is the first time I have ever voted non-Republican. I suppose there are multiple layers as to why I made this choice. I don’t wish to make this an “us verses them” kind of platform. In the end, we are sisters and brothers in Christ and we need each other, though we may have differing views. To provide a kind of backdrop, I grew up in the evangelical conservative Christian circles. I thought that was all there was to Christianity and politics. Little by little, I began to learn more about social justice (local, national, and globally) and engaged in conversations with people working in the trenches with “the least of these.” I also learned more about institutional racism and white privilege. In addition, I met incredible women and men of God who are feminists (I grew up believing these could never co-exist) and I connected with Christians who were “liberals” and (to my utter amazement) have an immense value for life on various levels. In all of this, I embarked upon a journey where I saw God’s face in people and places that surprised me. My own piousness and personal comfort were deeply challenged. I was humbled as I came to the realization that no one vein of Christianity or politics has all the answers as we seek to follow Christ and live out the Gospel of the Kingdom of God. And so, though I am voting Democrat, I bless you, my brothers and sisters of the Republican persuasion. May we all be willing to hear each other’s hearts and learn how to hold the tension when people with differing opinions sit down at the same table. And may we choose to listen to the stories of the oppressed, the orphan, the widow, the poor … and allow their stories to change us and point us to Jesus. Thanks, again, Keri, for your well-written and engaging post.

Kristina said...

I'm also voting for McCain, though if you look at the political predictions right now, it doesn't look very promising for our "camp." We'll see what happens. And, we all know that when this is over, thank God for His sovereign work in landing who He wants in the White House. I am preparing myself to be able to unconditionally pray for either combo.

~Kayce said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It was very well written. I appreciate you speaking up! I am praying that the McCain/Palin supporters run to the polls on Tuesday! Our country will find itself in a bigger mess if Obama is elected as our next president.

Keri said...

Tabitha! It’s so nice to hear from you. I wish I was in Seattle so we could go out for coffee and talk.

I am in agreement with you on the plight of poor people and addicts in our country. I think you would find me to be very supportive of the view that we should be helping the helpless:
http://graceforwomen.blogspot.com/2008/07/helping-helpless.html

I just disagree that it is the role of government to fix the problem. I believe that the Church has not been ministering to the poor like they should. This has left a void where the government has stepped in. It is my belief that the Body of Christ should take responsibility, make sacrifices, and help those who are in need. Ultimately “the least of these” need Jesus to change their lives, and we can show the love of Christ by meeting their physical needs.

So I think we agree on the fact that more should be done, just not on how it should be done.

Thank you for writing. I appreciated the opportunity to hear your view point.

Keri said...

To those of you who agree with me, remember the most important thing we can do is pray and vote!

What a wonderful country we live in, where we are all free to have our own opinions and vote how we choose. Praise the Lord!